Monday, June 22, 2009

What is it about being right ?

What is it about being right ?

Everyone seeks to have the right set of things. The right parents, right administrator, right friends, right girlfriend('s), right work, ... most of all right life. It is so funny but even if there are some things wrong with us we tend to identify them as the right wrongs. Consider the following: I take an occasional drink, I know a drink can never get you anything, I know it can't be good for health. Now ideally I would have simply quit because it is wrong to do.

Instead, I say to myself:
"it is not good to do this, but at least it is not that bad, is it? I am only drinking once in a month or so, so that should be okay? Better than those who do it daily. At least my choice of being right at doing the wrong thing is good enough."
Not that I think what I do is wrong. Of course I am right. But why do I always have to be right ? Why not wrong ?

The right child. I have seen a case or two when parents do classify their children. "He is my better child". What better I ask? "He studies better, perhaps." Is it really so important that you need to give importance to a child who is better at studies. Are you not ignoring the other who is may be better at painting, or poetry perhaps, of which we may not even be aware of ?


The right girlfriend.
Okay, here I don't have a lot of experience, neither first hand nor through someone else's eyes. But from what little I have seen, I know that looking for the right partner has always been a tough call for all and is even gender-unbiased. I have seen pairs forming and deforming umpteen times. Most funny of all are those where two pairs dis-integrate at the same time and find solace in the comfort of the person from the other pair. Thankfully they choose the opposite gender. ;-) Again, I am not saying that all these are wrong doings (Even if they choose same gender partner :P). My question is why can't we have a partner who is half right, and the rest half could be right from their point of view.


The thought behind this discussion doesn't conclude that I am going to make a wrong choice. It is just that why does it have to be right all the time ? Why does the world around you expect you to do it right?

7 comments:

Lakshmi said...

hey nice blog..:D

Unknown said...

Hey rahul i think ur view is absolutely right..but thr will be hundred's who would comment it as wrong..i think the reason is that nobody is satisfied wid wat they hav...so they use dis excuse of being wrong..wat say??


:)

Raul said...

Lakshmi Thanks! :-)
@ mini : Exactly what I want. Let people debate, let me know what everyone thinks about this. This post is from a thought process that has continued to a near decade now. I want it answered now. I am getting older by day, after all!

Anonymous said...

what is right? what is wrong?

From a highly analytical point of view, the parent's comparison of his one kids, as one being better is truely wrong! But did he really mean to say that the other child is "not better" -- or are we just looking at it so? I think the answer is highly subjective. Nothing can be inferred from just one dialogue of a parent.

When it comes to being judgemental, nothing can stop one from questioning and there can be not one thing which can left out without being questioned.

reading the post.. these are the thoughts that immediately struck me!

Now am I right or am I wrong! :P

Raul said...

After writing this post and receiving comments online and offline, I have begun to believe that it is not the question of being right or wrong at all! It now seems to be whether or not people think. Keeping my stand, assuming people think here is my reply.

@amuived: It is not an isolated incident of some parent picking up a right child and behaving so. It is a usual behavior that we observe. Of course the degree of which varies from person to person. And I am not saying that parents betray the (supposedly) wrong child, insofar that I have seen life. It is shown in just how they pamper the child, in most cases.

Anonymous said...

The paragraph "The right girlfriend" is nicely ritten.
punch lyn : "My question is why can't we have a partner who is half right, and the rest half could be right from their point of view".
From where did u get it! :)

Raul said...

@ Kushal: What do you mean by "Where did you get it ?". It is my own, not loan! :P

I have this gift of convincing myself at anything I feel like doing. I think 'that line' came from that fight with myself that I had sometime ago. :-)